SCENT WORK Q&A SESSION with Lauralea Oliver CNWI
DATE : Saturday Sept. 19th, 2020
TIME: 9:00-10:30am HST
LOCATION: Online via Zoom
A morning with expert detection dog trainer and nose work instructor Lauralea Oliver.
This informal Q&A session will give you a chance to ask questions about a variety of topics or about training that is specific to your dog or dog’s breed. A list of questions will be collected from all participants ahead of time, and the questioner will be given the chance to interact with Lauralea to provide more details about the question at the live event. You are also welcome to ask questions on the fly during the session, or not ask any questions at all. In case your mind draws a blank, below are some sample questions:
- Skills progression – How do I continue progressing without making it constantly harder for my dog?
- Equipment recommendations for different scenarios
- Leash handling – How do I reward quickly while handling a long line? When and how should I alternate between on and off leash in a single search?
- Inaccessible hides – When, How, Why? What percentage of inaccessible VS accessible hides should I train with my dog?
- Pairing – Is it okay to pair inaccessible or elevated hides? Why even pair; why not train a final response on odor first, then have my dog hunt for the odor?
- Alternating between toy and food reward – When, How, Why?
- Final response training – When, How, Why? Trained behavior VS natural response?
- Food reward delivery – Is there an alternative to feeding at source, such as using a food delivery device or throwing a ball with food in it?
- Understanding my dog – My dog’s breed (or personality) is ______ . What should I expect in their search style, and how do I support it rather than hinder it?
- Troubleshooting – My dog is doing _____ . Why is he doing that and how do I change that?
If there is time, I would love to ask Lauralea about interesting or challenging searches that she has judged in trials, and what made them unique or challenging. While we don’t have many trials in Hawaii these days, and competition may not be important to some of us, hearing about trials helps us fill the gaps in our own training. Trials tend to present unexpected types of search areas, distractions or airflow that we may not normally expose our dogs to.
Pre-Requisites: There are no pre-requisites, but please note that many of the topics will be specific to training with target odor. You will need to download the Zoom application to your phone or computer ahead of time, and set up a free account. Kyoko can offer technical assistance if needed.
Webinar fee of $35 may be paid directly to Lauralea via the Buy Now button below. You do not need a PayPal account; you may check out with your credit or debit card. (I apologize that we can’t accept check payments for this event.)
You will receive a Zoom link to join the online session 2 days before the live event date. We prefer if you register early rather than last minute (i.e. day before event), but if you register last minute, please email me so I can confirm your payment with Lauralea before I send you the Zoom link.
Download Zoom: https://zoom.us/
ABOUT LAURALEA OLIVER
Lauralea is a Certified Dog Trainer, Certified Nose Work Instructor and Trial Judge for the National Association of Canine Scent Work.
Lauralea is also an ecological detection dog trainer and handler and has trained dogs on a variety of applications and targets ranging from reptiles to insects to plant diseases. Formerly the lead K9 trainer at H.T. Harvey & Associates Ecological Consultants, Lauralea has over twenty years of experience working with dogs in many environments and disciplines including shelters, working detection dogs, pet dogs and sporting dogs.
Read more about Lauralea at her website: http://www.k9inscentive.com